Each classroom has a full and varied library consisting of both fact and fiction books which are regularly used by the children in the classroom. As part of our aim to maintain and improve the literacy standards in our school, the school has focused on the reading fluency of each child. As a result, we have introduced some new literacy initiatives. These include:
- The Building Bridges of Understanding Programme: A programme where the children learn strategies such as prediction, visualisation, questioning, word identification, etc all of which are designed to help the children improve their reading fluency.
- Each teacher has implemented a shared reading programme in their classroom. This involves the children bringing home a book to read with their parents at certain nights during the week. We feel this helps the parent to become involved in the child's reading process.
- Each classroom allows a certain amount of time per week to integrate ICT and Literacy by using cloze test software to expand the children's vocabulary and to develop their English reading.
- A "Buddy Reader" system has been implemented in the school, where pupils from 3rd, 4th 5th and 6th class are paired with pupils from Juniors, Seniors, 1st and 2nd class to listen to their reading and to help them develop reading fluency. It is also a good way for all pupils in the school to get to know each other.
- A Graded Coloured Reading Scheme has been introduced from Juniors to 2nd class to allow each child to read at their own level and to progress to the next level when they have met the required targets.
OUR GRADED READING SCHEME
Our Buddy Readers
Below are some of our Buddy Reader Pairs. Our Buddy reading system takes place every Tuesday and Thursday morning.